2013/02/11

Space Camp project from an English teacher's perspective

This is a blog for a group of second-year high school students involved in a Space Camp project as part of their physics studies. The idea is to write entries about both space-related topics and the students, their school, as well as the project itself.

There are 19 students taking part in the Space Camp project. 15 of those students are currently on my English course that deals with science and technology. In the wake of my personal tech-epiphany, I wanted to incorporate some actual science and technology into my English class, and what better way to do it than combine it with the ongoing space project. Hence the idea of a Space Camp blog in English.

The project has already seen a lot of interdisciplinary co-operation. A while ago our school published KYL Times, a school paper, as a supplement of a local newspaper. The paper included articles written by the participants of a written communication course in Finnish, while the students involved in entrepreneurship studies acquired advertisements for the paper in order to cover some of the costs. The profits obtained will go to funding a trip to Kennedy Space Center in November, 2013.

For me personally, the project couldn't have come at a better time. Due to various reasons, it's my firm intention to use more technology in my classroom. In addition, I want to encourage my students to use English outside the classroom as well. Being able to combine the two aspects - I couldn't have asked for more!


No comments:

Post a Comment